Monday, March 9, 2009

A Harmless SNES Controller Mod

Now I say "harmless" because I'm the anti-moder. I feel bad about even calling this a mod, but I suppose it is. I have grown increasingly jealous of the Japanese Club Nintendo members who were so fortunate enough to be rewarded with the uber-fantasmic Super Famicom Wii Controller. Although I could buy an import (for $75!) I decided to just give my SNES controller a little bit of a makeover.
My mod involved taking out the original blue/ purple buttons and replacing them with the red, green, yellow and blue that came with my Ascii Pad SNES controller.

Step one, I unscrewed the 5 screws on the back of the SNES controller. Then unscrewed the 5 screws from the back of the Ascii Pad SNES controller.

Step two, gently I lifted the original buttons out of the SNES holes, and the rainbow buttons out of the Ascii controller, and switched them. Despite its different color scheme, my SNES controller actually had "Red" "Blue" Yellow" and "Green" labels specifying where they should go, making it easy to transfer.

Step three, I put the screws back in, and that's it! Although it won't work on Wii, this SNES mod will hold me over until those Super Famicom Wii Controllers come to the US!

No comments: