Thursday, January 29, 2009

Halo Blowing Up

Jason Pace, the all-powerful overseer of everything Halo, recently told Eurogamer that he sees the franchise spreading beyond its first non-shooter Halo Wars into all sorts of crazy genres and media.

"We tend to view the franchise side of Halo as an entertainment property, and something that we hope to expand in many different directions: both through additional genres of gaming and additional ways to tell the story that may not be game-related at all," Pace said between sessions of counting his piles of cash. Or, more likely, being paid to count piles of cash belonging to Microsoft.

Maybe it's because I'm not big into first-person shooters at all, but I've never really jumped on board the Halo bandwagon. I've owned both an Xbox and an Xbox 360 but have never once ponied up the cash to play a Halo game beyond rental. Is there something I'm missing here? Or am I just too sensitive to online preteens telling me how much my mother enjoyed their romantic company?

Still, the core Halo concept is pretty solid, and it could make for some interesting entertainments. Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson and Lovecraftian man-god Guillermo del Toro were once attached to a Halo movie, so it's very possible that such a thing could have turned into something worth watching. And as far as games go, I can't wait to race my buddies in a session of Lil' Halo Kart.

Source: Eurogamer

No comments: