Friday, January 23, 2009

New Splinter Cell Still 360 Exclusive

Ubisoft recently rolled out their gaming plans for the next year, and in addition to Assassin's Creed 2 and four hundred new kids' games ending in "z", the long-delayed Splinter Cell Conviction was on the release list. When the game was originally announced back in 2006, it was listed as an Xbox 360 exclusive. But considering all the rumors of massive restructuring and even word that the whole game has been rebuilt from scratched, those plans were up in the air. But Ubisoft confirms that Conviction will have only one home on release, and that's the house that Bill Gates built.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the game. I was a late adopter of the Splinter Cell series. Partly because the Tom Clancy name has no associations with me other than confusing Harrison Ford movies and the paperback shelf at the VA home. And partly because I never got the appeal of a stealth game, which seemed to make avoiding everything fun about a shooter the whole point. But after I finally dropped three bucks on a bargain bin copy of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, I was hooked. I loves me some sneakin' and stabbin'.

The later games haven't matched Chaos Thoery's success, but they've all been decent enough on their own terms. And a couple of levels in the latest, Double Agent, even approached greatness. Let's see if Sam Fisher can bring the goods one more time. I'll just be happy if the swishy sounds of his bushy new beard have their own detection meter.

Source: Videogamer

No comments: